The world builder project has been the first time that I designed assets to be modular from the beginning. The success of the project and the modular design has changed the way that I will approach projects in the future.
So what is modularity?
Modularity is the degree to which a system’s components may be separated and recombined. The meaning of the word, however, can vary somewhat by context:
- In Industrial Design, modularity refers to an engineering technique that builds larger systems by combining smaller subsystems.
- In Manufacturing, modularity refers to the use of exchangeable parts or options in the fabrication of an object.
Before I begun constructing my modular pieces I devised a set of simple rules that I would work by in order to ensure all my models would function in a modular fashion.
- All parts must be built a one meter grid.
- the origin point will always be in the bottom, left, forward corner.
- The Center of mass should sit along the X axis.
- All parts must have square edges.
- All parts must be multi functional.
After devising these rules I begun to concept the kinds of pieces that I would be building. I took the research into the culture and style of the overall scene.
- Write up an asset list, naming and describing all of the assets I would be creating.
- Setup my file structure.
- Setup the game engine settings.
- Creating all of the assets out of basic shapes, with no detail, in my chosen 3d package.
- Import all of the assets into the game engine.
- Test the assets modularity, through arranging and rearranging different structures in engine.
- Fix issues with modularity.
- Begin iterative workflow.
- Define the shape of all of the asset.
- Test In engine.
- Quick unwrap.
- Check engine materials.
Here are the finished assets without Materials in my chosen 3d package.
Thank You for Reading.
Creating Modular Game Art For Fast Level Design. (2016). Gamasutra.com. Retrieved 13 May 2016, from http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130885/creating_modular_game_art_for_fast_.php
Jones, S. (2016). Investigation into modular design within computer games. (1st ed., pp. 7-12,30-65). Retrieved from http://www.scottjonescg.co.uk/FYPResearch/Investigation_into_modular_design_within_computer_games_v1.0.pdf
Modular design within games.. (2010). polycount. Retrieved 13 May 2016, from http://polycount.com/discussion/78444/modular-design-within-games
Modularity. (2016). Wikipedia. Retrieved 13 May 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modularity