Cross-Discipline Work: Anti-Gravity

For the cross-discipline work, I joined in on a Studio 2 games project called Anti-Gravity. My role within the project was that of a freelance 3D artist. The team was looking for someone to create the AI character for their Portal inspired game. Before beginning this project, I believed that I would be required to come up with and model a small robot character. This assumption was correct.

The team gave me a brief which outlined the specifics of the single asset that I would be creating. The asset was to be spherical in shape, with an approximate radius of 20cm and based off of the the Wheatley character from portal 2, and the Eyebot character from the Fallout universe.

Immediately after receiving and reading the brief, I organised a meeting with the game’s designer that issued the brief. After a short meeting we had decided on some references to design the initial 3D sketches. These are the references we agreed on:

Throughout the project I conducted several face to face meetings with the game students: one to clarify the brief, one during the concept phase and one follow up meeting. I found that having these face to face meetings was extremely helpful as it helped to get everyone on the same page and it is much easier than trying to communicate over Slack, as the team was general unresponsive on Slack. In future projects, I will definitely be trying to conduct more face to face meetings as it helps eliminate confusion.

Initially, I had planned on creating three quick concepts / mockups for the game students to chose between but, due to time constraints, I was only able to create two. While this was not as planned, creating quick concepts was a good way to show and get a design approved by the game students.

Below is the final robot character, called Franklin, that I created for the team:

For my final project I had created an empty 3DsMax file that had all the correct scene, unit and export settings so that the model would import correctly into Unity. I used this when creating the Franklin model as it helped with ensuring that the technical side of things would go smoothly.

Additionally, I used the ‘Unity 5’ metallic settings when setting up the Quixel file and when exporting the finished textures. This allowed me to create textures that would work perfectly in the game engine that the team was using.

01

By laying down the technical framework for creating a 3D asset for Unity, by setting up the 3DsMax and Quixel files in the correct way, I was able to quickly create the asset to the correct specifications without any issues. This was extremely helpful to the project and I will definitely by doing this in the future.

I organised a follow up meeting after delivering the asset to make sure the team was happy with the final result and that they were able to implement it in Unity correctly. They were very happy with my work and I feel as though our multiple meetings helped to contribute to this.

The cross-discipline work that I undertook was as I expected it to be: I acted as a freelance 3D artist by concepting a design, getting it approved and finalising the model. The team that I worked with were half-way through production when I joined and had a very clear idea of the style they were going for. I found this extremely helpful as it gave me a direction to head towards.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s