Postmortem – A Thief’s Way

Introduction

This project has been the most productive project in terms of physical work, and output. The project suffered from rigidity and setbacks, but overall has come to a successful project conclusion. The communication dynamic experienced in this project is something that I will push for in future projects. And the implementation problems are something that I can learn from to better focus the efforts of teams that I work with in the future.

Communal work sessions.

Working at the same time as my teammate resulted in efficient communication, production, problem solving, and problem management. This communication worked mostly through discord. Allowing me to ask direct task and goal based questions.  We quickly fell into similar work patterns, with a cooperative attitude on both sides of the communication. This was highly motivating for me personally, and I feel like I got a lot of good work done on our project. Moving forward I would like to make an effort to find one or more people in the group too work closely with, in a way that has a similar dynamic as this project. To do this I will be more directed in the initial stages of the project to express the way I work best and asses the most appropriate person to use as my lead. Outlining what I need to stay productive while also making an effort to respect the way they work best. If I cannot find this dynamic I will talk to facilitators about finding a solution. On top of this I plan to work on my problem solving ability to make sure that I can independently find solutions when needed. To do this I plan to work on more solo projects and implement day sprints.

Implementation failure

The core interaction mechanic did not work the way we had initially wanted it too. This was caused in part by a break down in planning, and time management, not allowing for overflow time with the level loader. Partly more complicated than initially expected. And Partly because I was hit with a depression low that drained the three days set aside to write and develop the movement mechanic. This then resulted in a mad rush to cobble something together with the physics system. This rushed and overworked attempt to get something working for playtest resulted in a burnout that lasted most of the following week, this severely reduced the amount of effort I was able to put into the hours that I was putting in.This was then compounded by focusing on non key areas in order to attempt to have a stronger output. When the problems with the core interaction were brought up during playtesting, we still opted to focus on making the project feature complete before attempting to fix the core mechanic. We did not really attempt to leverage the rushed movement system as we always intended on fixing it, but we never put planing into fixing it, as other smaller things felt more urgent. We made the ultimate decision to leave it as it was in order to get the project to a completed state. In the future, I would I plan to focus on outcome over output. Make a rule that core mechanics come first. Learn some new things to leverage in future projects that I would have benefited from knowing to develop the two core systems in this project, these being; abstract and concrete types, delegates and events, and unity Scriptable objects. To mitigate these problems in the future, I will be making sure that the core mechanics have a more defined and outline plan of implementation. And during production I would like to make a per milestone checklist, to assess the development and direction of the core mechanics.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s